Tuesday

St. Ephrem's Prayer for Great Lent

The Lenten Prayer
of St. Ephrem


O Lord and Master of my life,
take from me the spirit of sloth,
despair, lust of power, and idle talk.

Grant rather a spirit of chastity,
humility, patience, and love
to me Thy servant.

O Lord and King,
grant me to see my own errors, and not to judge my brother,
for blessed art Thou unto the Ages of ages. Amen.

See Also Our Mission Post 2010:

  • Ephrem, Basil, Paul, and Benedict on Great Lent: "The Crown of the Year"

  • and

  • The Great Lenten Prayers of St Ephrem


  • Prayer and the Church Fathers: Lenten Resources


  • The Hymns on Fasting of Ephrem the Syrian
  • many links to the texts
    and from the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

  • SouthWest Diocese USA: Prayer Books
  • PDF and PowerPoint: Sleeba Prayer Book, Kymtha Prayer Book, Common Prayer Book, Lenten Prayer Book

  • Lenten Prayer Book PDF
  • NorthEast Diocese USA,

  • Audio Links for Passion Week Hymns, St. Mary's Cathedral, Philadelphia


  • Indian Orthodox Service Books: Feasts, Sacraments, Liturgical Hours

  • See also:
    IOC Great Lenten Prayers arranged by PP Joykutty, Detroit, USA Word.Doc Format